Whether you do the move yourself or hire a removal company, there are a series of preliminary steps to make the whole process easier:
- Storing, recycling and disposal: Taking advantage of the fact that we are moving home, we will take out all the items, both in the drawers and in the wardrobes in each room, and we will make a selection of the items to be stored in the boxes and taken to our next home, and any items that are no longer useful or are in poor condition can be recycled or disposed of.
- Packing: Once you have decided on everything you are going to keep, it is time to pack things according to their size and fragility, using boxes for the larger things and airtight bags for blankets and clothes, as well as, wrapping the most delicate things in bubble wrap. At this point, don’t forget to classify all the things and give a name to the boxes so that you can check everything when you have it in your new home.
Once this has been done, we will prepare the move: if you are going to hire a company, you will have to compare estimates and services, as well as find out about the company by asking for references from family or friends to ensure it is a serious and professional service.
- Set a date, taking into account that you will have to do the previous steps we have mentioned two or three weeks before that date.
- Don’t forget to sign a contract with the removal company, specifying everything included in the service, together with an insurance policy to guarantee you won’t have any problems with any mishaps that may occur during the move.
- Last but not least, you should have your new home ready for the move, freshly painted and completely clean so that you can put everything in place as soon as it arrives and without forgetting to register the supplies so that you can start your life there from the very first moment.