You have already found the house you like and the sale has gone through, so the next step is to check there are no outstanding bills the previous owner has left, and then change the ownership of the electricity, water, gas, etc., so that you can start your new life in your new home.
At WeRelocate BCN we explain how to change ownership of the utility suppliers.
If the property already has the supply contracts in place, one of the options available is to continue with the different contracted companies, in which case ownership of the supplies is simply transferred to our name. It is however advisable to analyse our needs and look at the energy efficiency of the property, in order to make any necessary changes, for example with regard to the power of the electricity, to improve the conditions for our consumption.
The procedures for switching companies can be carried out online or in person.
Changing the holder of the electricity supply
Once we have analysed our needs to adapt the power to our individual consumption, we need to provide the following documents to get the name changed on the electricity bills:
- Personal details of the old and new title holders.
- Specify the power of the electricity we are going to contract.
- Provide the contract number and the Unified Supply Point Code (CUPS), which can be obtained from previous invoices.
Change of owner of the water supply
In this case we have to provide the following documentation:
- Any other documentation you may require is included in your bill.
- You will also need the following items: €1,000.
- Photocopy proving the right of use of the dwelling (purchase or rental contract, nota simple or deed).
- The meter reading of the supply meter.
- Provide a bank account to pay the bills from.
Changing the holder of a gas supply
As the two previous cases, and in addition to the personal details of the holders and the bank account, we will need:
- The gas access tariff and the Universal Supply Point Code (CUPS).
In neither case does the change of holder entail any cost for either the old or the new holder.