Penthouses are some of the most attractive and sought-after properties by buyers looking for a place to live, but like any other type of property and despite all its advantages, it also has some drawbacks. At WeRelocateBCN we tell you the pros and cons of living in a penthouse.
Advantages of living in an attic
- Natural light: as well as being located in the highest part of the building, in general penthouses usually have large windows to make the most of the light, allowing you to benefit from this natural resource.
- Good views: if the location of the property is in a place that has a building of the same height directly opposite, a penthouse allows you to overcome this and still have some panoramic views of the area.
- Extra exterior space: it is very common for the penthouse to have an exterior exit as a terrace, which can be used as an alternative space for the house: dining room with barbecue, chill out area, etc.
- Less noise: as they are located high up, they are usually less noisy, and there are not so many neighbours around or above them, and you do not hear the bustle of the rest of the floors of the building, as no one has cause to go up to the top floor.
- Being able to have more privacy: this outdoor space that the penthouse offers in the form of a terrace is much more private than any other terrace on a ground floor.
- Its exclusivity: in a multi-storey building, there are usually only two or three penthouses, making it a much more special and exclusive type of home.
Disadvantages of living in a penthouse apartment
- Higher energy consumption: on a top floor, temperature changes are more pronounced in both winter and summer, meaning a greater energy cost in energy.
- Greater likelihood of theft: sometimes if the buildings in a city are attached one to the other they are much easier to break into, so you will need to consider the idea of looking for security measures to prevent this happening.
- A more expensive price: this exclusivity and the fact that there is less supply, in addition to the special characteristics of penthouses, make them much more expensive than other types of properties.
- Greater maintenance: being just below the roof and with an uncovered terrace, they are more exposed to the weather and require greater maintenance.